The Managed Services Standard of Care
Is there an MSP standard of care? Standards of care exist in other professions like medical, legal, etc. But, do they exist in the managed services profession?
In today’s episode, we will examine the concept of the MSP standard of care, when it would apply, and address ways MSPs can articulate what their standard of care is so clients are aware and educated.
- Best practices is not the minimum standard of care
- Avoid being measured by a common law standard by developing a contract for your managed services relationships
- Don’t allow a judge or jury to determine whether your MSP practice acted reasonably; make it clear in your contract
- Contracts can help with many (but not all) scenarios involving managed services clients
- Specialty MSPs do not deliver complete services to answer all client IT needs
- In many cases, it’s the MSPs who bring the best practices and compliance requirements to the clients
- In the case of reactive or break/fix IT services, MSPs need to distinguish themselves from those reactive providers. That distinction can come through clearly in the service contract.
MSP Zone Guest: Rob Scott, Scott & Scott LLP